Leadership Corps for Natural Hazards Research
One of the tasks of the CONVERGE initiative is to create and support the first-ever Leadership Corps for natural hazards research.
The Leadership Corps includes the principal investigators of the National Science Foundation-supported EER networks (GEER, SSEER, StEER, NEER, OSEEER, SUMMEER, and ISEEER) and the leaders of National Science Foundation-Natural Hazards Engineering Research Infrastructure (NSF-NHERI) Network Coordination Office, RAPID Reconnaissance Facility, DesignSafe, and CONVERGE.
There are many well-established networks doing important work in the natural hazards reconnaissance space. The CONVERGE Leadership Corps, however, is dedicated to linking the National Science Foundation-supported EERs and the NSF-NHERI components that facilitate and advance the work of the natural hazards reconnaissance and research communities.
The CONVERGE Leadership Corps is working together to:
- Develop an internal operations manual to clarify how the principal investigators of the various NSF-supported EERs and NHERI components will work together during a major disaster.
- Develop an outward-facing research response plan to support the coordination of research teams and clarify the ways that researchers can effectively interface with local, state, and federal authorities; industry partners; and the non-profit sector.
- Develop best practice guidance for rapid response disaster research by publishing the CONVERGE Briefing Sheets series, in partnership with the Natural Hazards Review.
- Write a science plan to inform future rapid response disaster research investigations.
- Assume shared responsibility for internal and external messaging and communications during rapid response disaster research missions involving large numbers of engineers and social scientists.